Having trouble viewing this email? View it as a Web page.
In this week’s WPHS News You Choose:
- Important Dates
- PTSA News
- School News Update
- Senior News/Class of ’22 Updates
- College and Career Center Updates
- SAT/ACT Test Prep
March 22: Seniors Breakfast – Class of ’22 Celebrations
March 23: “March” Madness fundraiser concert to benefit the band scholarship fund at WPHS, 7:30 PM
March 31: End of Third Quarter - 2-hour Early Release
April 1: Student Holiday (Teacher Workday)
April 4 -8: Holiday (Spring Break)
April 30: Junior and Senior Prom- Renaissance Hotel in Crystal City (Details below)
May 30: Holiday (Memorial Day)
June 2: Senior Convocation
June 3: Class of ’22 Graduation - WPHS Stadium
Happy Friday All!
We need a little fun and West Po magic in our life. I was informed today by the Promotions Director for the local radio station, HOT 99.5 that they are conducting a High School bracket contest on their Instagram to find the best high school in the DMV and WEST PO was nominated! We will be placed into a bracket and go head-to-head against another local high school in an Instagram voting poll. The school with the most votes will advance to the next round. The final round winner will receive $1,000 for their school!
Voting timeline is as follows:
Round One Voting: March 22, 2022, through March 25, 2022
- (16) Finalists will be posted in a social media voting poll on HOT 99.5’s Instagram (2 schools per day)
- The eight (8) Finalists with the most votes after Round One, will advance to Round Two.
Round Two Voting: March 28, 2022, through March 31, 2022
- (8) remaining Finalists will be posted in a social media voting poll on HOT 99.5’s Instagram (2 schools per day)
- The four (4) Finalists with the most votes after Round Two, will advance to the Round Three Voting.
Round Three Voting: April 1, 2022, through April 2, 2022
- (4) remaining Finalists will be posted in a social media voting poll on HOT 99.5’s Instagram
- The two (2) Finalists with the most votes after Round Three Voting, will advance to the Final Round Voting.
Final Round Voting: April 4, 2022
- (2) remaining Finalists will be posted in a social media voting poll on HOT 99.5’s Instagram
- The Finalist with the most votes after Final Round Voting, will be declared the grand prize winner.
So lets have some fun and Lets Go West Po!!!
March 22 - Class of '22 Senior Breakfast
Final in - school Senior Celebration Event supported by parents. Please help us make this a great event for your Senior. Seniors have less than 55 days of HS left. Let’s make this event EXTRA special. Breakfast items to include Anita's Famous Breakfast Burritos in addition to the normal breakfast staples of donuts, granola bars, fruit etc.
Please donate and share this sign-up spot with other Senior parents.
Thank you to many families who have already signed up.
- Shopping through Amazon Smiles continues to be a great passive way for our PTSA to earn funds! Since most of us use Amazon on a weekly basis (if not daily!), the only effort it requires is to purchase through the Amazon Smiles link or even better, on your phone App. Just choose the West Potomac High School PTSA for your charitable foundation and that's it!
- Graduation is just around the corner and this means sending out beautiful Senior Announcements! Minted is not only giving us 20% off, but they are giving back 15% to the WPHS when you use code FUNDRAISEPOTOMAC!
WPHS - ROARING 20'S PROM - Saturday, April 30 2022 from 8-11 PM
- Renaissance Arlington Capital View
- Tickets on sale during all lunches April 18-29.
DONATE A THEATRE TICKET TO A WEST POTOMAC STUDENT!
- At Beyond the Page, we want to make performances more accessible to students, and to do so we need your help. By donating to fund student tickets, you are helping bring live theatre to students who wouldn’t normally be able to attend. Our goal is to fund 1200 tickets.
- Tickets are $10 each and will go to a student here at West Potomac for one of our 6pm performances of Be More Chill.
- To donate tickets, please visit us at westpotomactheatre.org and hit the red button labeled "Donate Student Tickets Here"
BEYOND THE PAGE THEATRE COMPANY’S SPRING MUSICAL IS JUST AROUND THE CORNER. - BE MORE CHILL, the Musical
- The hit Broadway musical Be More Chill is coming to WP this April. Inspired by the groundbreaking novel by Ned Vizzini, features a Tony-nominated score with original music and lyrics by Joe Iconis and book by Joe Tracz, and features Phillip Jarzen (Jeremy), Brooke Apitz (Christine), Charlotte Teeples (Michael) and Charlotte Jurta (The Squip).
- The musical features scenic design by Emmie Pereria, costume design by Kati Manning, makeup design by Kaela Smith, lighting design by Jeremy Worth, sound design by Sam Sabo, props design by Eli Kopp and projection design by Gavin Carpenter.
- Beyond the Page Theatre presents this high-energy musical which poses the question: What if popularity came in a pill? Would you take it with no questions asked? In Be More Chill, achieving that elusive “perfect life” is now possible thanks to some mysterious new technology — but it comes at a cost that’s not as easy to swallow. Blending the contemporary with retro sci-fi, this exciting, comically subversive and deeply felt new musical takes on the competing voices in our heads. And it ultimately proves that there’s never been a better time in history.
Performance Dates and Additional Info: @ WPHS - Kogelman Theatre.
Assigned seating for all shows is $10 for students and $15 for adults, available online at www.westpotomactheatre.org. Any remaining seats will be available at the door one hour before performances.
April 20th, 21st, 26th, 27th, & 28th @ 6:00pm
April 23rd @ 1:00 PM
April 23rd & 29th @ 7:00pm
Indoor Drumline Competition, Saturday, March 19 at Powhatan HS
- Come out and support our Indoor Drumline at its last competition of the year on March 19, at Powhatan HS, 1800 Judes Ferry Road, Powhatan, VA 23139. West Po is scheduled to perform at 7:15 p.m. Tickets are $15 for the all-day event, which runs 9 a.m. to approx. 9:30 p.m. Cash, credit card, and checks accepted. George Mason University Percussion will close out the competition. Click here for the full line up: http://atlanticindoor.org/powhatan-high-school/
March Madness Concert, March 23, 7:30 PM at West Potomac
- Please join us for our first March Madness concert since 2019! Every March (in normal times) the West Potomac Band holds a “March” Madness fundraiser concert to benefit the band scholarship fund, The Cutting Fund*, that is used to help support the band program with things like financial assistance for current band students to take private lessons and bringing in guest musicians from time to time to enrich instruction. The concert consists of all marches so get ready to tap your feet! We will have a few special guests in the house to help us support West Po band. This event is free, but we will be passing the hat for donations (online donations always an option via wolverineband.com) and for the grand finale the Band Boosters will auction off the chance to guest conduct the Stars and Stripes! It’s a fun, family event and all for a super cause!
- *The Cutting Fund was established in 1977 by the parents of Christopher Cutting to honor his memory and love of band. Christopher Cutting was the drum major for Fort Hunt High School (the grandfather school to West Potomac HS) and was tragically killed in a drunk driving accident after his freshman year in college.
Fine Arts Update
Our Virtual Pyramid Art show is live! Please note our West Potomac Scholastic Art winners at the beginning of our West Potomac Section (9:12).
Drug & Alcohol Facts Week - March 21- 27, 2022
- Opioids are the number one cause of unnatural death in Fairfax County. Young adults aged 25-34 are the most common demographic seen in the emergency room for fatal opioid overdoses. Nationwide there were over 100,00 overdose deaths from April 2020- April 2021. Using opioids after a period of abstinence, mixing drugs, IV use, and serious medical problems all contribute to an increased risk of opioid overdose. 90% of substance users began using prior to 21-years-old.
- Alcohol, marijuana, and nicotine are usually the most common substances used by adolescents. Fairfax County police stations, pharmacies, and medical facilities provide permanent drug disposal drop boxes for residents to safely dispose of their unused/expired medication. DO NOT flush your medications.
For further Information & support: Elizabeth Knudson, M.A, NCC Substance Abuse Prevention Specialist [email protected]
Would you like to make a difference? Please help AP Testing go smoothly? Sign up to help proctor!
Use this link to sign up to help: https://www.signupgenius.com/.../9040E44AAAC23A57...
Senior News/Class of 22 Updates:
May 26 - End of Year Party for Class of ’22, 5:00 – 9:00 PM at the Stadium Field
- Music, Food, Mechanical Bulls, Four Way Basketball Shootout, 3 -Lane Bungee Run are just a few of the fun things being planned. A ticket will need to be purchased to attend this event. Please look for additional info re: how to purchase tickets and to sign up to volunteer. We will need many parents!
Graduation Tickets: Each Senior will receive 6 tickets for graduation. This number was determined based on the number of Seniors graduating and stadium capacity.
Questions: Shauna Hamilton at [email protected]. Pick-up details will be provided after your order is received. Once these are sold – There will not be another run. Stakes are provided with the purchase of the signs to display in the yard or signs can be hung indoors using some command tape.
Class of ’22 Senior School Dues:Senior dues are $50 - these funds will cover the Cap and Gown, Diploma Covers, and Senior Shirts and Activities.
Check out the Feb. ’22 Senior newsletter compiled by class officers
Senior Convocation - June 2 at 9:00 am
Class of ’22 Graduation – June 3 at 9:00 am
West Potomac High School: Dietze Stadium
Rain Date: Saturday, June 4, 2022, at 9:00 AM
College and Career Center Updates:
SAT Exam Update:
Need to reschedule the 3/12 SAT that was cancelled due to inclement weather? Students who registered for the 3/12 SAT will receive an email with exam and admission ticket information by 3/23 only if their test center is offering a makeup date. This information will also be posted on the student’s My SAT page. If the original test center the student selected is not offering a makeup, please register for a new test date on the student’s My SAT page on collegeboard.org.
FCPS Regions 3&4 will be hosting Military Night at West Springfield High School (6100 Rolling Road Springfield, VA 22152) on Tuesday, March 29th from 6pm-8pm. Representatives from Military Academies, Military Colleges, ROTC Programs, Recruiters, and Congressional Offices will be represented! If you have any interest in serving in the military, this is the event you do not want to miss!
If you plan to attend, students must use their fcpsschools.net account to fill out this quick Google Doc to register.
NOVA: What’s Next???: Seniors who plan on attending NOVA in the fall should bring their lunch and come to Career Center on Monday, 3/28 during their lunch period. Our NOVA rep will be at WPHS during every lunch period to discuss the next steps seniors will need to take to attend NOVA in the fall. Seniors are required to have a completed NOVA application. Pre-registration to attend the event is not required.
College Fair: George Mason will host the Northern VA Regional College Fair on Thursday, 4/7 from 6:30 – 8:30 pm. Over 200 colleges from across the U.S. will be on site for this in person event. Visit https://events.admissions.gmu.edu/nvrcf-2022/ for more information and to register for this event.
***Save the Date*** Academy Day 2022 on April 23, 2022: Senator Mark Warner invites high school and middle school students, their parents or guardians, and school counselors to Academy Day 2022. Attendees will have the opportunity to join breakout sessions with representatives from the United States service academies for presentations and an interactive question and answer period. This virtual event will be held from 10:00 am – 12:30 pm. To ensure you receive the invitation and the registration link for the event, please email [email protected]. For more information on the Academy Nomination Process, please visit www.warner.senate.gov.
SAT/ACT TEST PREP:
No Second SAT Class for Spring – Despite best efforts, we cannot offer a second SAT class this spring.
Snow Day Reschedule – The mock tests snowed out on 3/12 are rescheduled to 3/19. Walk-in registration ($28 payable to WPHS PTSA) available as space allows.
- Sophomores, now through May is a great time to take mocks and determine your test preference!
- Juniors, mock tests are perfect for practicing for the real thing!
View full schedule and Register Here.
All on-campus classes and mock tests are in Gunston, Room 190 pod. Park in Academy lot, enter door 10/Academy.
Online Free Applerouth Webinars
Path to College: What Sophomores Need to Know Now
03/22/22 8:00pm Sign Up
Path to College: What Freshmen Need to Know Now
03/29/22 8:00pm Sign Up
Ask The Experts: Advice from College Admissions Directors
3/ 29/22 8pm. The panel includes Admissions Directors from Georgia Tech, Cornell University, and The George Washington University. This free online event will include topics such as:
Testing: What does “test optional” really mean?
Classes & Grades: How do honors, AP, IB, and dual enrollment classes factor into the process?
Essays: What are colleges looking for in students' essays?
Extracurriculars: How should students use their time outside of school?
College Visits: With some colleges opening up to campus visitors, is it better to visit in person or remotely?
Register online: https://www.applerouth.com/signup/?scheduleid=488951
Or go to applerouth.com/events and use event code: M488951
FCPS Highlight This Week
Free Online Tutoring Services for All Students Coming Soon!
All FCPS students will soon have unlimited access to online tutoring support services through Tutor.com at no cost. Funds to support Tutor.com for school year 2022-23 and 2023-24 will come from an ESSER III Unfinished Learning Grant.
Students can connect online any time, and in most subjects for as long as they need. Tutoring is focused instruction provided to students in a one-on-one format through voice or text chat. Tutors will focus on developing student’s strengths and capabilities in reading, mathematics, or other specified subjects. Tutoring services may be accessed before, during, or after school hours and/or on weekends through a link in Schoology.
All tutors must pass a rigorous application process including an extensive background check. No personal information is shared between a student and tutor. All sessions are recorded and transcripts are available for review by teachers and parents/guardians.
Students will automatically have access to the Tutor.com tutoring service unless a parent/guardian submits an opt-out request. All FCPS families will soon receive an email including an online tutoring service notice and opt-out information. Additionally, a hard copy form will be sent home with every student.
For additional information, visit our online tutoring services website.
6500 Quander Road Alexandria, VA 22307 | Main Office: 703-718-2500
Attendance | Web | Twitter