WPHS - News You Choose 6-2-23GovDelivery6 days 23 hours ago
Having trouble viewing this email? View it as a Web page.
In this week’s WPHS News You Choose:
- Important Dates
- PTSA News
- Class of 2023 Updates
- School News Update
- College and Career Center Updates
- SAT/ACT Prep News
- Quick Links/Additional Resources
- June 6: Senior Awards 9am
- June 6: Mandatory Graduation Practice 11:30am
- June 7: Graduation 9 AM
- June 12-15: Half Days – 11:30 Dismissal
- June 14 - WP School Counselor Summer School Registration Open House 7am-6pm
- June 16: Last Day of School – 10:15am Dismissal
- June 19: Juneteenth
- June 20 & 21: Teacher Workdays
Congratulations to our amazing Class of 2023! You will do great things and forever be Wolverines!
PTSA DIRECT DONATION: Click Here
Class of 2023 Updates
For all things graduation, click Class of 2023 & Graduation Information
- On Wednesday June 14, WPHS Counselors will be available in the library from 7am-6pm to assist families who may need help registering for summer school. Learn more at this link. Questions? Contact your child’s school counselor.
Dance Team Updates
Calling All Dancers!
The West Potomac Dance Team will have tryouts for the fall 2023 teams on Wednesday, June 21st. Dancers will need to take part in two workshops on June 7 and 8 to be eligible to tryout. No previous dance experience required. Rising 9th through 12th Grade students welcome. Hope to see you there!
West Potomac Athletic Update
- It’s time to start planning for the 2023-24 high school sports seasons. The first step for students to be eligible to participate with any West Potomac sports teams, including tryouts, workouts and green days, is to complete a sports physical on a VHSL Pre-participation Physical Examination (PPE) form. The sports physicals for the current school year will expire on June 30th2023. The West Potomac High School Athletic Training Program will be offering sports physicals at WPHS on Tuesday June, 13th. The completed physical will stay on file at school and be good for all sports participation both in and out of season for the 2023-24 school year. This event is a fundraiser for the WP Athletic Training Program and proceeds go to support student athletes in all sports. The cost of the physical is $50 and all students must register online. Register now while there is space available.
- Volunteers: We are always looking for medical and non-medical volunteers to assist us for the event. If you are interested in helping out (and will be available from 5 – 8pm on 6/13) click on this link to register as a volunteer. You will be given more information as we get closer to the night.
We want your feedback from Spring Sports!
- It’s hard to believe the 2022 -‘23 WP Sports Season has wrapped up. Hope many of you were able to join and celebrate all our WP Spring student - athletes. Your feedback is invaluable to continuing making WP Sports strong - Parents/Players-Please take a few minutes to complete the survey at this link to share your feedback on Spring Sports
College and Career Center Updates
Summer enrichment programs are a great way for students to explore their interests. See highlights of a few programs. Students can find an updated list of programs by logging into Naviance Student>Colleges> Research Colleges>Enrichment Programs.
FCPS Student Pilot Program with Coursera
- The Department of Information Technology (DIT) is excited to announce the launch of FCPS Student Pilot Program with Coursera! The new program will allow up to 1,000 FCPS High School students to access the full contents of the Coursera Career Academy. The pilot program has a limited number of licenses available on a first-come, first-serve basis.
Program highlights include:
- Explore popular digital jobs and career paths, from marketing to data science
- Learn from experts at leading companies, including Google, Microsoft, and IBM
- Earn a valuable career micro-credential
- Access to over 27 professional certificates
- Interested students must complete the Coursera Student Interest Form. https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdqT8IJHbgqPof4aHkLGk-bG9xn7BG1wzHWdu2RhHVsvE_dTw/viewform. Once the student completes the interest form, FCPS will contact the parental/guardian for consent. Coursera student accounts will then be created. Additional login details will be provided to students after account creation. Questions? Contact Scott Simmons at [email protected]
FCPS Talent Ready IT Summer Internships
- Rising juniors and seniors are being recruited to assist Technology Support Specialists (TSSpec) with technology projects in preparation for the 2023-2024 school year! This is a 5-week paid opportunity from June 26, 2023 – August 4, 2023.
The internship program is for the summer only and is not to be confused with the yearlong FCPS IT internship program. Students interested in learning more should review the FCPS Talent Ready Summer Internships flyer and apply before the deadline on Tuesday, May 30, 2023!
George Mason Institute for Excellence (HS)
- The Institute for Excellence is a free six-week academic enrichment summer bridge program at George Mason’s Fairfax Campus. Students will have the ability to earn college credit from a host of disciplines. We are currently recruiting for our Sports Management and Intro to Education programs for rising 11th and rising 12th graders. The program is hybrid with a blend of virtual and in-person learning. Students will also engage in research, college success seminars, and career readiness programming.
- Deadline: Students interested must review the eligibility requirements, program dates included on the program flyer. Apply by Friday, June 9, 2023.
SAT/ACT Test Prep News
- Test Prep Chair Needed! Do you have freshman and/or younger students? Well, SAT/ACT tests are in your future. Be on the cutting edge of changes to the official tests and college admissions by chairing the PTSA’s Test Prep Program! No test prep experience is needed just strong organization and customer service skills. Contact Marilyn Aboff, [email protected], to learn more about managing this rewarding program. Planning for summer and next school year starts soon. Now is a great time to jump on board and learn the ropes! Perhaps co-chair for a year?
- No summer events planned.
Free Applerouth Events available at https://www.applerouth.com/calendar
Questions? Contact Marilyn Aboff, [email protected]
Scholarships! Need-based scholarships to mocks and classes are available to WPHS students. Contact Karen Young, CCC Specialist, [email protected]
FCPS News /Quick Links
- COVID-19 Dashboard.
- FCPS Features
- 2022-23 Standard School Year Calendar
- Mental Health Resources and Emergency Services Information.
- FCPS Parent Resource Center
- Educate Fairfax
- FCPS Cares
- WP Athletics
6500 Quander Road Alexandria, VA 22307 | Main Office: 703-718-2500
Attendance | Web | Twitter