Having trouble viewing this email? View it as a Web page.
Pictures: Dental Careers and Medical Assistant students in our WP Academy sharing their cultures and heritage through presentations, food, music, and native clothing. Mr. Guerrero, our Dental Careers teacher stated, “When you are in the dental office, you will have the opportunity to interact with all types of people and cultures. We must learn and seek to understand everyone’s background in order to provide patients high quality dental care.”
Happy Weekend West Potomac,
Below are a few important updates to share:
- The October 19 Grading for Equity Q/A Panel has been postponed. We will share the new date early next week.
Preprinted Federal Impact Aid forms will be coming home today, Friday, October 15th with each of your students here at West Potomac. Please complete and return the form to your student’s Advisory teacher right away. You will need to complete one form per student. Yes, we need one form per student filled out exactly the same for each of your students. Please fill them out whether you are federally connected or not. These forms take only a few minutes to fill out and can help to earn federal grant money for our school. All information on the forms will be treated confidentially. There is an explanation letter from the county attached with the forms coming home, and I have included a county video below. Thank you for your prompt turn-around, this is a big help to our school and our school system. Federal Impact Aid video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xRtyRxco_U
- As shared last week, we will not be allowing students to move during S rotation. For example, a student must stay with their S2 teacher during S2 and cannot go see another teacher. Beginning next week teachers may offer virtual office hours during S rotation, allowing students who are available to login from their assign class and get questions answered from another teacher. For example: During S2 a student’s 4th period teacher offers virtual office hours. That student can login from their S2 location and speak with their 4th period teacher.
- Next week is our first SEL screener administration. This will occur Tuesday October 19, during Advisory. Parents previously received information via an e-notify to include an opt out form. For those students whose parent submitted an opt out form, you will not have an SEL Screener loaded in your schoology. For awareness our additional SEL screener administration dates are January 27 (snow date of Jan 31) and April 29.
- If you or someone you know is interested in substituting for three sections of Chemistry team taught with a second teacher, please contact Belinda Williams at firstname.lastname@example.org
Wishing you a great weekend!!!
- Important Dates
- School News Update
- PTSA Updates
- College and Career Center
- SAT/ACT Test Prep
School News Updates:
Student Services Group
- West Potomac High School will be running a Grief and Loss support group for student who have experienced any type of loss - group meetings will take place in the College and Career Center once a month on Mondays after school. The next meeting is October 25th. If you believe your student may benefit, please encourage them to attend. For more information, you can reach out to the following faculty: Megan Runion (email@example.com), Stephanie Bluestein (firstname.lastname@example.org), Sara Brewer (email@example.com), and Debora Yoon (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Did you take your school picture? Freshmen, Sophomores, and Juniors can take make-up pictures on October 27, 2021 between 8 am 12n in the auditorium.
- Senior Portraits make up dates are January 18 – 24 & 25. Lifetouch will be sending an email to schedule an appointment in December.
- Order your cap & gown by visiting com
- Click on “Shop Your School”
- Enter West Potomac High School
- Cap & Gown cost is included in senior dues (Dues has not been determined yet)
Parent/Guardian to one of our Amazing Class of 2022 Seniors?
- Join the private/unofficial Senior parent Facebook group to connect with other senior families, discuss senior activities (like college applications, events, etc.) and more. Please copy link below on search engine and it should take you to page. If you are unable too, please reach out to Liz Ver Hage @ email@example.com https://www.facebook.com/groups/wposeniors22/
Chorus Yard Signs for Sale
- Show your support for your West Potomac choir student by displaying a WP Chorus Yard Sign. You can purchase online by going to: http://west-potomac-high-school-choral-boosters.square.site/ If you prefer to pay cash, please contact Rhonda Brown at firstname.lastname@example.org. Chorus water bottles and car magnets are also available. All proceeds support the chorus program.
Support WP Orchestra
- Our Wolverine Pride blankets are perfect for outdoor events, indoor study sessions, and make great gifts! All proceeds benefit the orchestra. Please see attached flyer for details
Support WP Dance Team:
- Clean out your closets for a good cause! On Saturday, October 23 between 8:30 and 9:00 am, the West Potomac Dance Team will be collecting clean, gently used clothing and soft furnishings (bedding, pillows, etc.). These items will be donated to the Unique thrift store in Falls Church. Proceeds from that donation will go to the Dance Team based on the total weight of the items donated, so more is definitely better! Pack items in clean trash bags and drop them off at the big blue bin outside entrance 3A of the Springbank building at West Potomac. Tax receipts will be available at drop-off. Please share this information with others! Questions? Contact Carrie Sessine at email@example.com.
- Thank you to the many families who joined us for the Oct. PTSA meeting, pls see minutes for topics discussed: October PTSA Meeting Minutes. To become a member, join online today at https://westpotomacptsa.memberhub.store. Questions? Contact Libby at MearesTeam@gmail.com.
- Next meeting: November 8 (Virtual Only): Mental Health, Meet the Counselors, Academic Support. https://westpotomachs.fcps.edu/resources/ptsa
- We’re bringing delicious Chick Fil A sandwiches to WP on October 20th! Pre-order only event – order today, so don’t miss out! Deadline for pre-orders - Sunday, October 17 at 10:00 P.M. Pick-up will be at the WP “Kiss and Ride” from 5:00-6:30 p.m. on Wednesday, October 20. Order at https://westpotomacptsa.memberhub.com/store
- Minted Fundraiser: https://www.minted.com. Shop senior portrait cards, holiday photo cards, wedding stationery, fine art, personalized gifts, and more designed by independent artists. Use PTSA's promo code is: FUNDRAISEPOTOMAC. WPHS families receive 20% off holiday cards and gifts - 15% will be donated back!
- Amazon Smile - Amazon donates 0.5% of the price of your Amazon Smile purchases to the PTSA! Log into smile.amazon.com and designate “West Potomac High School PTSA” as the charity you would like to support. Works on your Phone App as well!
- PTSA Direct Donation Campaign: The PTSA is seeking your support with donations for instructional resources. Every donation counts. 100% of your donation is tax deductible! (Please insert Direct Donation flyer here) https://westpotomacptsa.memberhub.com/store
College and Career Center Updates
- FCPS VIRTUAL COLLEGE WEEK will take place Monday, October 18 - Thursday, October 21, 2021. FCPS families are invited to attend virtual sessions on a variety of topics, including how to pay for college, dual enrollment, AP/IB, how to apply to a military academy, and college essay writing. Registration is now open, and students and families can sign-up for as many sessions as they wish. Don’t forget to check out the FCPS Virtual College Week webpage for updates and to learn about various college fairs available to students. Contact Karen Huffman at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions about Virtual College Week.
- JUNIORS: The Fairfax County Youth Leadership Program is designed to educate and motivate high school juniors to become engaged citizens and leaders in the community. Please visit https://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/budget/youth-leadership for more information.
- If you are interested, apply by Nov. 5 using this link: https://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/fcylp/. Email email@example.com with questions.
SENIORS & SENIOR PARENTS: In partnership with FCPS, College Access Fairfax is presenting information sessions to help seniors and families learn about paying for college. Registration is not required.
- October 16th OR November 9th: FAFSA Line-By-Line Webinar: The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) opened on 10/1. Plan to join one of the virtual sessions to find out what questions are asked and what information will be needed to complete the FAFSA. *Seniors, check your fcpsschools.net email account for Zoom links for each session. Zoom links for each session were also emailed to any senior parent with an email address on file with FCPS.*
- Remember College Access Fairfax is a free and available resource to answer questions about the financial aid process. Please don’t hesitate to contact them at firstname.lastname@example.org. College Access Fairfax also offers one-on-one help to families who are interested in receiving assistance in completing their financial aid forms. Appointments can be requested with Financial Aid Champions by sending an email to email@example.com
SENIORS & JUNIORS: Seniors & juniors should continue to pre-register for college visits and come prepared to ask questions. College representatives are still scheduling visits so please encourage students to check Naviance for the most up-to-date list of colleges coming to visit WPHS.
- To sign up for a college visit, log into Naviance: fcps.edu/Naviance Select: Colleges>College Visits> View Details>Register.
- CCC Hours: Monday – Friday from 8 am – 4 pm. Mrs. Karen Young, WPHS College & Career Center Specialist, is available to meet with students and parents virtually or by phone. To schedule, please send an email to Mrs. Young at firstname.lastname@example.org or she can be reached via phone at 703-718-2548.
SAT and ACT Test Prep
- Test Prep Classes and Mock Tests - View full schedule and Register Here.
- Next mocks:
- Mock SAT 10/23
- Mock ACT 10/30
- More Resources available on the Test Prep Program Web Page
- Questions? Contact Marilyn Aboff, email@example.com.
- Scholarships - WPHS student need-based scholarships for mocks and classes are available through the WPHS College and Career Center Specialist, Karen B. Young, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Need Flexibility? Try Applerouth’s Self-Paced Online Course - Animated video lessons and comprehensive practice for every section of the SAT or ACT. Available for purchase ($125.00) on the PTSA’s MemberHubStore.
- Applerouth’s Guide to Academic Success ($10.00) available now on PTSA’s MemberHubStore. Build a foundation for better study skills! This 88-page guide teaches students how to take control of their learning and understand why some habits are better than others.