Details about Partners for Safe Teen Driving program and Behind the Wheel
Driver Education Information
Learner's Permit Test Information
West Potomac will offer Learner's Permit Tests at 3:15 in room 100 on the following dates :
Learner's Permit Test Steps:
- Register through ACE/FCPS
- *This test is for Fairfax County Public School students ONLY (FCPS ID is required).
- Register with the DMV
- This link will also be provided on your confirmation form. You MUST register with the DMV to be allowed to test. Students MUST be 15 years and 6 months old by the day of the test. If you have had 2 unsuccessful attempts at passing this test, then you are required to test at the DMV for your 3rd attempt.
On the test day please bring:
- Completed, and signed DTS 41 consent form
- A picture ID to verify identity
- FCPS issued laptop and earbuds/headphones to listen to directions and test audio
Partners for Safe Teen Driving
The state of Virginia requires all 10th-grade students and their parent/guardian to attend a 90-minute traffic safety program as part of the classroom driver education instruction. This requirement must be met before a student will receive a Driver Education Certificate of Completion (DEC-1 card).
West Potomac will offer PSTD sessions at 7 PM in the auditorium on the following dates:
If you’re unable to attend these dates, additional dates/locations can be found on the Fairfax County Public Schools website. You are strongly encouraged to mark your calendar now and plan to attend. You may attend any session -- preferably before or during the quarter your child has their classroom driver education instruction. If you have any questions, please contact Tyrone Strother at [email protected]. Please be aware of the following procedures that have been established to fulfill the requirements of the new law:
- Students must attend with their parent/guardian.
- Parent/guardian is required to show valid driver’s license or state-issued identification number.
- Attendance for FULL 90 minutes is required.
- Proper completion of the registration form required (received at the session).
- The Program must be completed during the year student is enrolled in Grade 10 Health and Physical Education (HPE).
- No fees are charged to FCPS students currently enrolled in Grade 10 HPE.
This is a requirement for current FCPS 10th-12th grade students. Most 11th and 12th-grade students went to this last year and do not need to go again. 11th-grade students that did not see it last year need to sign up in advance to attend. To register by phone, please call 703-658-1201. Requirements for students to obtain a driver’s license in Virginia:
Obtain a learner's permit at a local DMV office once you are at least 15 years and 6 months old. The student will be required to pass the sign, Knowledge and Vision test. This can be done at any time after they are 15 years and 6 months old.
Pass a state-approved classroom driver's education program. Classroom Driver Education is the first of two courses required for legal state licensing for anyone under the age of 19 and is part of the 10th-grade Health and Physical Education requirement.
Attend a 90-minute Partners for Safe Teen Driver class with a parent/guardian:
If the student passes the classroom portion and attended the 90-minute partners for safe teen driving they will receive a “Driver Education Certificate of Completion” (DEC-1 card) from their classroom instructor and receive a “P” for pass on their final grade in Driver Education.
If a student did not attend the Partners for safe teen driving they will receive an “I” for incomplete on their final Driver Education grade and will not receive their (DEC-1) card, until they Attend a 90 minute partners for safe teen driving program once they attend the final grade will be changed to a “P” for pass if they did pass the class.
Learn more about the Partners for Safe Teen Driving program.
Behind the Wheel
The Driver Education Certificate of Completion (DEC 1 card) is needed to take behind the wheel. The second portion of Driver Education (Behind the Wheel) can be taken privately or through https://aceclasses.fcps.edu. The number to register by telephone is 703-658-1201.
Behind the wheel will consist of 7 classes 2 hours each
A Log of 45 hours of driving practice with a parent or guardian. 5 hours at night must be completed.
The student must hold a learner's permit for at least nine months.
At the end of behind the wheel student drivers will be given the driver road test. If the student passes the behind the wheel test and has completed all of the above requirements, they will be given a provisional license. If they have not completed all the requirements, the provisional license will be held until requirements are completed.
Once students receive their provisional license, they will be contacted by Fairfax county courts within 180 days to attend the licensing ceremony to receive their permanent license; a parent/guardian also must attend.