New Student Registration (Additional Information)

If this is not a student's first year in FCPS, they do not need to register. They are already registered within the system.

Before beginning, view the FCPS Boundary Map to see which Fairfax County Public School serves a particular address. 

When & How to Register a New Student

Please contact Leslie Dorsey at 703.718.2551 or to register your child at West Potomac. All registrations are by appointment only. 

What You'll Need

The requirements that are needed for registration are available on the FCPS new student registration page. These include proof of residency, proof of birth, documentation of previous educational program, and health documentation.

Military family registration 

To help make your transition easier, Department of Defense (DOD) employees from each branch of service provide a School Liaison Officer or a point of contact. School Liaison Officers are the primary point of contact for school-related matters and assist military families with school issues.

Translation Services

Registration requirements documents and translations are available in Arabic, Chinese, Farsi, Korean, Spanish, Urdu, and Vietnamese. For recorded information about registration, please call 703-204-6795

The student must be accompanied by the person with whom he/she lives, either a parent or a court-appointed guardian or legal custodian. The accompanying adult may be required to present photo identification.


Requests for withdrawals must be done in person by the enrolling parent/guardian. During the withdrawal process the student must return all books, pay obligations, and obtain required signatures. Upon completion, students will receive their transcript, immunization record and withdrawal grades.

Change of Address Notification

Addresses will only be changed when a deed or lease and 2 current bills are submitted to the Student Service office. 

Student Transfer Information

Students whose base school is not West Potomac must complete a Student Transfer Renewal Application Form. Forms are available in Student Services and must be submitted in order to prevent withdrawal from West Potomac. You will be notified by mail of the approval. If you have any questions, please call 703-718-2551.